Monday, March 13, 2006

Huang cheng and the start of the sch hols

Yesterday was the Huang Cheng performance. We went as a class for lunch at Lau Pa Sat before going to Victoria Theatre together. Personally I had very high expectations of Huang Cheng, after hearing about how great it is from the previous batches. So I guess that was perhaps why I didn't really find it as good as I thought it would be. It consisted of 3 plays. The first play was rather touching, and the acting was quite good, but perhaps if it was less disjointed and the flow was smoother, it'll be much nicer. The second play was the most understandable and most smoothly connected among the 3 plays. I think it's quite touching too, but I didn't really empathise too much with the characters, perhaps because my family background is so different from that and I never really met anyone with such experiences, so I can't connect that much with the characters. The third play, to put in one word, was: cheem. In other words, rather hard to understand. But what I can get, is that it's about company politics, and whether winning or losing in the competitive job/ company market, is really all that matters.

Maybe Huang Cheng should do a show that connects more with teenage students and school life, given that the majority of the audience are students of the ages 16-19, instead of venturing into plays dealing with themes / scenarios that most students (both actors and audience alike) have never experienced before. It would be more realistic and truthful to act, and the audience would appreciate it more.

On a sidenote, I wore a new pair of heeled slippers that I just bought a week ago, and it caused 4 great blisters on my feet! In the end it was simply hellish to continue walking in them, so I figured I might as well take off the slippers and walk barefeet. It's simply much more comfortable walking on the road barefeet than wearing those slippers. And I really have to thank Chris and Zi Chong as well for the cab treat home! Otherwise I might have gotten home with ten more blisters.

***

The school holidays have started and it feels so surreal to be at home alone (my sister's gone to school for some class thing) instead of being around so many people. I'm really unaccustomed to the quiet, the boredom, and the loneliness. And quite a number of people seem to be occupied during most of the March holidays, so I guess I can't really get more people to meet up to play sports during the holidays. If anyone's playing sports / doing something during the hols, I'll be really glad to come along! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home